Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tip #3 What NOT to do the night before a race

Sorry for not posting earlier this week....I have been MIA in San Francisco with no laptop and only an iphone (I'm on vacation, people!). Turns out the iphone cannot send posts on blogspot. Who knew?
I am sitting here, in the Gaia Napa Valley Hotel and Spa, a mere 10 hours away from the start time, and I am sitting here thinking about my NORMAL pre-race routine.
The night before a race is almost a ceremonial time. There is ritual, there is a specific menu (well, basically). Normally, I would tell you to do the following things the night before a race:

1. Refrain from alcohol the day (or even two days) before the race
2. Carbo load with a nice pasta dinner
3. Refrain from any exercise or strenuous activity a day or two before
4. Go to bed early
5. Lay out you clothes and pin your race number on
6. Plan your race day breakfast--I suggest something light---a banana with peanut butter, a powerbar, toast

Almost all of this has gone out the window with this race. So here is a list of things NOT to do before race day:

1. Do not walk around San Francisco with a large backpack on your shoulders, causing your shoulders and neck to be in extreme pain the next few days.
2. Do not go wine tasting in the Napa Valley, especially when that wine tasting includes a gay man who calls your male friend, "daddy," and all the wineries provide extra treats and tastes
3. Do not go to dinner at a restaurant where you feel the need to order a flight of wine, eat copious amounts of cheese, and indulge in profiteroles and bacon chocolate (but do try the bacon chocolate another time!).

Needless to say, my friends and I are slightly un-prepared for tomorrow. I'm usually a lot more "on it" the night before a race. However, when in Rome....or when in Napa....I was drinking wine today and that was all there is to it!

So...I am off to bed, trying to make one or two "good decisions" before the race ensues. I will give you a full report soon in my "Race Review," although I can already provide a sneak preview: Expo= lame. Goody bag= awesome!

See you on the flip side...

No comments:

Post a Comment